Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiSys > Why doesn't OBDII port work?
Why doesn't OBDII port work?

1132 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: 2019-11-10 06:52:24

•   Level 1   
    (8) points

2019-11-09 23:25:16
    I am an idiot, but...

I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee.  I plug my brand new, updated, registered MS906 into the OBDII port and the MS906 can't read/ determine the VIN.  Weird, but ok.  I input manually and scanner tells me I need to use a 12+8 Chrysler adapter instead.  This entails removing the radio knob panel, the surround of the screen, the screen, remove the ports from the back of the radio panel and screen and plug them into the adapters (2).  If I was doing this on a job that would be fine but I also intend to use this scanner to help when purchasing a used car.  No one is going to let me remove their dashboard panels and components to connect.

Why can't this (sophisticated) system access the diagnostics using the OBDII port as designed?  What am I missing?

Frankie

•   Level 3   
    (89) points
    kcny77

2019-11-09 23:48:25 (Reply to:)

Chrysler's Security Gateway Module limits aftermarket tool access to the vehicle.  Autel's solution around that is the 12+8 cable.  You also need an active subscription and an internet connection.

•   Level 1   
    (8) points

2019-11-10 00:13:31 (Reply to:kcny77)
    Thank you for the clarification.  Do you know if I'll have a similar issue when connecting to a Land Rover?

Scanner is brand new 3 days old.  Updated via wifi - 40 updates.  Do I also need a subscription or is that included for the first year?

•   Level 3   
    (89) points
    kcny77

2019-11-10 00:23:23 (Reply to:)

Most 2018 and newer FCA vehicles have the SGM (so Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, RAM, FIAT, Alfa Romeo).

Your purchase should include a one-year warranty/subscription with updates.  It will continue to work after that, but then won't be able to do certain things like accessing the SGM.  You can see when your subscription expires when you log in to your account on the Autel website.

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2019-11-10 06:52:24 (Reply to:)

If you are within your update subscription period and your Jeep software version is above V 8.50 and you have a high speed internet connection. You should then be able to read codes and data without using the 12+8 adapter, however you will not be able to perform any bi-directional active testing, clear codes ,  perform any inputs, or do any coding, unless you bypass the SGM with the 12+8 adapter
  Total1 Pages